a global community
Knowledge Management Program Officer
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT PROGRAM OFFICER
For the implementation of its strategic plan 2010-2014, AU-IBAR seeks the services of a Program Officer to oversee the implementation of its knowledge management program.
* Post title: Knowledge Management Program Officer
* Post level: P3 Step 5
* Duty station: AU-IBAR, Nairobi, Kenya
This position is subject to availability of funds.
2. Major duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Chief Animal health officer, the Program Officer will:
* Facilitate collation of population and production statistics on African animal resources, with an initial focus on livestock and fisheries;
* Facilitate collation epidemiological data on major and (re)emerging diseases, including trans-boundary animal diseases and zoonoses;
* Develop mechanism and framework to generate data and information on :
1. the contribution of animal resources to GDP and livelihoods in African countries,
2. the current public and private investments in animal resources and trendsc. the continental and global trade, markets and processing of animal and animal products,
3. standards and regulations, focusing on issues relevant for Africa,
4. climate change and animal resources, focusing on issues relevant for Africa;
* Compile and make available information on natural resources management issues to inform decision-making by African stakeholders.
3. Educational qualifications:
At least an advanced degree (Msc) in Communication or Information Sciences or related field is a requirement. With the minimum requirement fulfilled, experience in the management of information and communication in the livestock sector is an advantage. A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
4. Work experience:
7 years experience with at least 5 years in data collection, collation and analysis as well as generation and presentation of information3 of which should be at international level.
5. Other relevant skills:
* Self-starter with the ability to strategically plan own work
* Knowledge of other official African Union languages is an advantage
* Good networker with the ability to maintain a positive and fruitful dialogue and relationship with the main institutions operating on the Continent
* Excellent communication skills.
6. Language requirement:
Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages is a requirement. Knowledge of one or more of the other AU working languages would be an added advantage.
7. Age requirement:
Must be preferably between the age of 35 and 50 years.
8. Tenure of Appointment:
The initial appointment will be for 11 months including a 3 months probation period. Contract extension will be subject to performance and availability of funding.
9. Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit the following:
1. A letter stating your motivation for seeking employment with the AU Commission;
2. A detailed and updated CV, indicating your nationality, age and gender;
3. Names and contact details (including e-mail addresses) of three references;
4. Certified copies of degrees, diplomas and other academic certificates.
Complete job details are accessible at: